When it comes to sewing projects, what could be more perfect than a pocket? This guide is here to show you how to take your creations up a notch by incorporating a sleek and functional zipper pocket! Whether you’re giving new life to a plain tote bag or upgrading an apron, adding a zipper pocket can bring both style and utility to your sewing endeavors. Let’s dive into the step-by-step process and learn how to seamlessly integrate this into your projects!
Supplies You’ll Need:
For this project, you won’t need an exhaustive list of supplies. In fact, the essentials are quite simple!
- The project you want to add the zipper pocket to (tote bag, apron, etc.).
- A 14-inch zipper (color of your choice).
- Two coordinating fabric pieces to create the pocket.
- Creating Your Pocket Template:
Before we begin sewing, it’s crucial to ensure we have the right dimensions for our pocket.
- Determine the desired size of the pocket slit on your project.
- Add an inch to each side of the slit and at least an inch above it.
- Consider a 1/2-inch width for the pocket slit, which works well with zippers.
- Create a template with these dimensions, including a V-shaped cut at each end of the slit for folding.
Having a template on hand will make future pocket creations easier and more consistent.
2. Sewing the First Pocket Piece:
- Pin the pocket template onto the chosen spot of your project where you want the zipper slit to be.
- Sew along the template’s outline to create the pocket opening, pivoting at the corners.
- Carefully snip open the fabric within the sewn lines, creating an opening for the zipper.
3. Preparing for the Zipper:
- Turn your project inside out, flipping the fabric through the pocket opening.
- Press the fabric around the opening, creating a clean edge.
4. Attaching the Zipper:
- Center the zipper beneath the fabric, ensuring the zipper pull is away from your sewing machine’s presser foot.
- Use pins to secure the zipper in place, going from one side of the slit to the other while going underneath the zipper teeth.
- Stitch along the edge of the fabric, attaching the zipper. Pivot at corners for accuracy.
5. Finishing Touches:
- Snip the zipper ends to align with the fabric edges.
- Align the second pocket fabric with the first making sure you have right sides together.
- Stitch around the edges, starting with the top, then the bottom, and finally the sides. Pivot and maintain a consistent distance from the zipper.
6. Optional Finishing:
For an extra polished look, run a zigzag stitch along the edges of the pocket to prevent fraying.
Congratulations! You’ve just transformed your project into a functional work of art with a chic zipper pocket. These pockets not only add utility but also a touch of sophistication to your creations. From totes to aprons, you can now enhance any sewing project with this versatile technique. Thanks for joining me in this sewing journey, and remember, creativity knows no bounds. Like and subscribe to our channel for more sewing inspiration and tutorials. Until next time, happy sewing!